Proposition 1 is a legislatively referred constitutional amendment. It was put on the ballot by the California State Legislature with the passage of 2021-2022 Senate Constitutional Amendment (SCA) 10 - Atkins. It provides a state constitutional right to reproductive freedom, including the right to an abortion.
This proposition would amend the California Constitution to expressly include an individual’s fundamental right to reproductive freedom, which includes the fundamental right to choose to have an abortion and the fundamental right to choose or refuse contraceptives. This amendment does not narrow or limit the existing rights to privacy and equal protection under the California Constitution.
According to the California State Legislative Analyst’s office:
A YES vote on this measure means: The California Constitution would be changed to expressly include existing rights to reproductive freedom—such as the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion and use contraceptives.
A NO vote on this measure means: The California Constitution would not be changed to expressly include existing rights to reproductive freedom. These rights, however, would continue to exist under other state law.
Official Voter Information
- California Secretary of State, Quick Reference Guide Prop. 1
- California Secretary of State, Official Voter Information Guide
- California Secretary of State, Cal-Access: Campaign contributions
- California Legislative Analyst's Office, Proposition 1
- California Fair Political Practices Commission, November 2022 General Election Top Contributors to State Ballot Propositions
Non-Partisan Voter Information
Public Opinion Polls
- Rasmussen Reports, August 10-11th, 2022
- Berkeley IGS Poll, August 24, 2022
- Public Policy Institute of California Statewide Survey, July 2022
- Public Policy Institute of California Statewide Survey, September 2022
- Rasmussen Reports, October 12, 2022
- USC Schwarzenegger Institute – USC Price California Issues Poll Fall 2022 General Election Poll, November 4, 2022, p. 15, 49
- Berkeley IGS Poll, November 4, 2022